Sunday 18 May 2014

The Projection Pipeline I used For my Bakes

X-Normal is an application to generate normal/ ambient occlusion/ displacement maps. It can also project the texture of the high poly model into the low poly model mesh.

To begin I needed to load my low and high into 3ds max. With both overlaying each other I was able to select the low poly mesh and use a modifier known as projection. which allowed me to create a cage mesh. The projection cage needs to cover the high poly mesh in order to bake down, its a way of calculating the data from both meshes. Once I had all three meshes I loaded X-normals placing each mesh where needed.

After that I used the tool ray distance calculator, this makes a accurate calculation than leaving it be, I roughly left it to calculator between 25-30 secs as anymore and there's not much of a difference.



Final step was setting up the baking options setting the resolution wanted etc, the other option I change though was the edge padding down to 2 as was recommended to me to give better results. I then selected normal and AO maps this took different times depending on the objects themselves at most though would take around 2 and a half hours to render as wanted an 8k render.

No comments:

Post a Comment