Wednesday 26 March 2014

Major Project Production Bike Parts #Handle Bars & Brakes


Next section on the list was the handlebars,brakes and gear shifter. For this I decided to use splines as it was recommended to me from my lecture to use spines to create the bike frame, I saw this as an opportunity to get some practice in before trying something complex. 


So to begin I again got a reference plane with a image set up and  created a set of circular splines lining up with the image. 

I then created a cylinder to work out roughly the length of the grip.

I then used the tools I was recommended to create the outcome of the image above. by connecting the circular splines with the connect tool and using the surface modifier. However this resulted in a bad outcome with edges overlapping each other. 

For that reason I resulted back to creating the bars using a cylinder with a set of extrusions. I only however modelled half of the handlebars and then used the symmetry modifier to complete the object.  


I then collapsed the modifier list and then smoothed the mesh out using the smoothing groups. Also decided to add more detail to the grips. 

The Stem was made up of two objects one at the front created from a box and the wrapped around the handlebars. Then the second part at the back was created from a cylinder with the edges flattened and extruded.


I then went back and added some bar ends to the object this was a cylinder which was bevelled in slightly. 


To add the final touches to the handlebars I added a headset cap on the top of the stem. This was done using the same technique as the bar ends.

For the next section I created the brakes. For this I got reference of an old brake set known as avid codes. Started by blocking in the unique areas of the brake with simple shapes to help me rough out how I was going to go about creating the complex shape.

This is was I finally came up with tried to keep it very simple as not going to be seen on screen much in gameplay respects. 

For the gear shifter I created a cylinder and bevelled it slightly. And used the brake lever and edited it to suit the shifter.

This is the other side of the mesh.

No comments:

Post a Comment