Wednesday 5 March 2014

Company Research: Square Enix

Square Enix Ltd., a part of Square Enix Europe business unit, is a London-based wholly-owned subsidiary of Square Enix Holdings Co., Ltd., one of the most influential providers of digital entertainment content in the world. Square Enix Ltd. publishes and distributes entertainment content from the Square Enix Group including Square Enix, Eidos and Taito, in Europe and other PAL territories.
The Square Enix Group boasts a valuable portfolio of intellectual property including: FINAL FANTASY®, which has sold over 92 million units worldwide, DRAGON QUEST® which has sold over 53 million units worldwide and TOMB RAIDER® which has sold over 35 million units worldwide, together with other well established products such as: DEUS EX, HITMAN, KANE & LYNCH, KINGDOM HEARTS, STAR OCEAN, and SPACE INVADERS. The Square Enix Group continues to push the boundaries of creativity and innovation by providing high-quality entertainment content, services and products.
Square Enix Ltd. also has a global network of leading development studios such as Crystal Dynamics, IO Interactive, Beautiful Game Studios, Square Enix London Studios and Eidos Montréal.

I would like to see myself fitting into the company well as I've grown up with loving the games they have created and would like to see how my input to the company can make the difference from a good game to a great game.




Final Fantasy 7 was one of my personal favourite games of all time. This game that helped me make up my decision to become a game designer at the age of  7 ,When I think about it I consider it to be sad deciding my life at that age but it's helped me to focus and push to succeed in something I always wanted to become. What made this such a great game for me wasn't the graphics but the story and characters. Making the game to spread over 3 discs at that time, made the story and world massive making it fun to explore. Making the film Advent children made me revisit the game and play through it again. I hope one day it will come when Square Enix remakes the game for next gen.


Even through I played through Final Fantasy 8 and 9. Final Fantasy 10 was the next big game from Square Enix that I completely fell in love with. The game was the first of the series to come on the PS2. Making a huge difference to the graphics. This reminded me a little of FF7, However yet again the story was the main drive of the game making you connect with the characters unlike todays Final Fantasy games where to me they push for more graphics and high tempo ATB fighting systems. 


Kingdom Hearts brought a whole new twist to the Square Enix Final Fantasy franchise, joining with Disney made this game epic.  Taking on the role of a young boy on an island in a mystery world where darkness came and took what he loved most, made him explore a range of strange worlds some from the Disney Films. Yet again what drove the game to greatness for me was the story and journey through the game with help of Donald and Goofy. 
   

Next and final game from the eastern studio is Final Fantasy 14 A Realm Reborn, The new and improved version of the MMO has seen it become a highly popular game. I'm a huge fan of the Final Fantasy franchise as you might of guessed but bringing it to a MMO platform was hard and thankfully they succeed the second time round. It has to be the most beautiful game I have ever played with the stunning Environments and landmarks. I want to become that good and will be trying to create scenes like this in the near future.


Tomb Raider has never been my cup of tea, I've played a few of the games but never completed them, However I thought I would go back and Revisit the franchise and see how it goes. It was the best decision I made I completely got hooked to the game from the start. Keeping to its origins with the action adventure and puzzle platform was great but what made the game for me was the graphics.


Thief has always been close to my heart I remember playing them on the Pc in the 90's, so for a new one to come out was great, I have not yet played the game but cannot wait as the visuals are stunning and keeping to the dark Victorian theme with cool mechanical arrow gadgets makes it all worth waiting for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment