Saturday 26 April 2014

Major Project Production #Environment Trees


For the Environment I started off with the most important assets and then worked down to the least. For this the trees was the first asset on the list for me to create. by using my research gathered in preproduction and also looking at a range of tutorials like the 3d motive creating foliage for UDK and a YouTube person known as Tales of Nalstone. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHB7HsZDwuI


To start off with I create a cylinder and at the top connect all the verts to form a point, this was so that it didn't look odd and out of place when the branches and leaves go on.


I then created various branches from splines using them as paths for objects to follow. I made sure they went to a point by tweaking the verts and combining them. 


The next stage was to create the full grown branches which will include leaves for this I create a few planes and scaled them to fit the object this was done by eye as well as using the texture created applied to the mesh to get a better feel for the final outcome.


From that design I took the elements and create another tree this one would be slightly smaller and there for have branches lower down the trunk.


For the final one I did exactly the same process making a more busher looking tree.


This image shows all three designs in mesh form.


I then created the material ID's for the trees's and also created the dummies which attached to the trees fitting to the dimensions of the individual tree designs. By using the CryEngine Exporter I then exported them to the Objects file within the Game SDK folder, But before doing so I saved the 3ds Max File within the same location. 


This image shows all three trees in the test scene within the engine.


This image shows the texture set-up for the trees using the material ID's I can create a single material in engine which can have multiple texture set to it. Meaning one for the bark and the other for the leaves. Sometimes the editor glitches out showing black instead of the texture itself.


This image shows the set-up of the leaves texture

No comments:

Post a Comment