Friday 25 April 2014

Major Project Production #Rider Rig

As I am using the CryEngine for my game concept, I needed to ensure that I could get my character into the engine itself. For this I came up with the idea of my animator creating a rig for their personal use and then exporting the animation as a file. Then for me to create the in game rig using the CryEngine developer file.


This image shows the default biped rig on the left with other rig attachments, and then a physics mesh on the right, This mesh is used for engine purposes to do with collision etc.


I then Imported my character to the file and added the cry skin modifier to the mesh, This was done in sections though creating to different meshes one for the head and neck, while the other section consisted of the remaining body.


By using the skin modifier I was also able to edit the envelops of the bipeds bones.


After this process I still needed to tweak some areas around the section bones for this I used the weight tools allow me to pick out verts and give them a value to a certain bone.


From that I managed to export the mesh and bones from 3DS Max to the CryEngine, However this was a simple task I came across many issues when importing the character to the character editor. Examples being the character being offset. The worst problem I had was not able to save the character once in the editor this was the Engines fault but was fixed in the latest version. But yet again came across another issue getting animation to link with the character, this was done to again the engine version and the script I was using. As the script was provided by CryTek themselves but yet due to the change in how the character system works in 3.5.8 the script no longer works.

A link to my CryDev post explains more with comments made by a highly trained game designer. 
http://www.crydev.net/viewtopic.php?t=122055

No comments:

Post a Comment